Mid-Winter Beekeepers Feast: A Taste of Mead and Honey
Feb 08, 2014
from 06:30 PM to 09:30 PM
|Where||Sensory Building Foyer|
|Contact Name||Amina Harris|
|Add event to calendar||
Table sponsors will be recognized in our Menu Booklet
It is early February. Pink and white buds are just peeking out on the burnished branches of the almond trees all over central California. It is just the beginning of spring. Bees come out to bask in the warmth of the afternoon sun following the dark, cool winter days of December and January. They gather pollen and nectar to begin building their strength and their colony for the coming year. Each evening they return to the warmth of their hives.
Join us in the glow of candlelight as we celebrate this beginning of the honeybee’s season. We will start the evening with sparkling mead cocktails and end with a very special dessert: a mead flight with cheeses, guided by Darrell Corti, international wine judge. Music, a silent auction and great food will fill the evening.
Our Dinner has been designed by Ann Evans and Mani Niall and will be catered by The Buckhorn.
Ann is the founder of Yolo County Slow Food, the Davis Farmers Market, the Davis Farm to School Program, beekeeper, illustrator/author (with Georgeanne Brennan) of the Davis Farmer’s Market Cookbook.
Mani is the author of numerous cookbooks including ‘Covered in Honey’ and his latest venture, ‘Sweet!’ He is the chief cupcake froster at Sweet Bar Bakery in Oakland, CA.
- Cracked Dungeness Crab on Belgian Endive
- Shitake Mushroom Soup Shots with a spicy honey spray
Sparkling Mead from Heidrun Meadery, sparkling Water and Wine pairings with each course
- Mixed Navel and Blood Oranges over winter greens with Tupelo Honey vinaigrette
Main Course served Family Style
- Roasted Lamb Shank with Dried Fruits and Rosemary Infused Sage Honey
- Polenta Squares with Tomato and Mushroom Ragout
- Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Thyme Butter
- Musqee de Provence with new crop walnuts and lavender honey glaze
Cheese Course with Honey Comb
- Honey comb paired with Laura Chenel Chevre, Romano from Winters Cheese and Manchego Cheeses
Dessert course & Mead Flight
- Three selected meads
- Haagen-Dazs Honey Vanilla Ice Cream
- Old fashioned Butter cookies with Pistachios
Thanks to Our Event Sponsors!