This introductory course uses sensory evaluation tools and methods to educate participants in the nuances of varietal honey. Students will learn about methods of evaluation, stands and quality in this certificate program.
Sensory Evaluation of Honey Certificate Course
Date: October 26 – 28, 2018
This course is designed for anyone interested in learning how to taste honey. Packers, chefs, beekeepers, writers, food manufacturers, honey afficionados – all will learn something new about honey from a unique varietal to the research happening here at UC Davis. Attendees will receive a UC Davis Honey Flavor Wheel in addition to a jump drive with all presentations.
- Taste over 40 varietals from across the US, Europe and other locales.
- Learn the positive attributes and defects found in honey
- Learn about the science of tasting from Sensory Faculty at UC Davis
- Learn about labeling laws and their limitations
- Get an update on the latest UC Davis Sensory Research
- Receive lectures from leading authorities in nutrition, medical science, and adulteration and even a cooking demonstration on how to use honey in creative ways.
- An exam at the end of the course will help you evaluate how much you have learned.